A new key visual (below) and new staff members have been revealed for Hikari no Ou (“The King of the Fire-Hunters”), an upcoming TV anime adaptation based on the novel series written by Reiko Hinata and illustrated by Akihiro Yamada about a post-apocalyptic world where the presence of natural fire can cause humans to spontaneously combust. The staff for the series includes:
- Original work: “Hikari no Ou” series (written by Reiko Hinata, published in Japan by Holp Shuppan)
- Original character draft: Akihiro Yamada
- Director: Junji Nishimura
- Screenplay, series composition: Mamoru Oshii
- Character design: Takuya Saitou
- Chief animation director: Takuya Saitou, Kazuchika Kise, Toshihisa Kaiya
- Music: Kenji Kawai
- Sound director: Kazuhiro Wakabayashi
- Animation production: SIGNAL.MD
The story of Hikari no Ou is described as follows:
The world after the last war of humanity. The earth is covered with black forest, and the people have been infected with a human pyrogenic pathogen that causes their bodies to burn when they approach a natural fire. The fire in this world is gathered by hunting black beasts that live in the forest, the Fire Demons. Recently, there has been a rumor whispered among the fire hunters who hunt the Fire Demons. “The fire hunter who hunted the thousand-year comet “Shimmering Fire,” an artificial star wandering in the empty sky, will be called the King of Fire Hunters.” The protagonists of the story are Touko, a girl who grew up in a village, and Koushi, a former student in the capital city. Their encounter, which was never supposed to happen, changes the fate of the world.
The Hikari no Ou TV anime is scheduled to broadcast in Japan on the WOWOW premium satellite network beginning in January of 2023.
Copyright notice: © Rieko Hinata・Holp Shuppan/WOWOW
Paul Chapman is the host of The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast and GME! Anime Fun Time.